Is Your Partner An Immigrant Who Wants To Live With You In America? What To Know

12 April 2016
 Categories: Law, Blog

If you have been working in and out of the country and you want to bring home your partner that lives in another country, you'll want to call an immigration lawyer. If you want your partner to come live with you in the states permanently, and you are strongly considering marriage, there is a process that has to be followed.

Your partner can first apply for a visitor's visa, where they can visit the area for an extended period of time. During that time you'll want to meet with an immigration attorney to start the process of turning your partner into a citizen. Here are a few reasons you'll want to have a lawyer.


There is a great deal of paperwork that has to be filed and applications that have to be filled out carefully. Having a lawyer to help you go over these different documents, and to fill everything out for your partner is ideal. Any flaws will get the application denied, or could force you to start the process over. If this happens, your partner could get deported.


There are going to be very strict laws that your partner has to follow while they're in the United States. They may not be able to work, or you may have to file for a specific type of visa for them to do so. Committing a crime could be one of the worst things they could do while their application is pending. Your lawyer will make sure your partner is educated about these laws, and help if any complications arise.

Marriage Licensing

If the two of you have decided that you are going to get married during the process, or before submitting the application, your lawyer can file all the paperwork for your marriage license and help to get your new status pushed through the government records. As long as you can prove that you are marrying for love, and not for a visa, there shouldn't be complications. 

There are a lot of different things that you have to consider when you invite your partner to move from another country to live with you. Don't just have them get on a plane with their passport and think that they can stay at your living space without being a citizen. Eventually, they need to become a citizen of the United States and you will want to get a lawyer to work out the details.